Thursday, September 3, 2015

Visceral Response

Like many in the class have pointed out in their responses, nature is the most stupefying reality in the entire existence of human observance.  This picture was actually taken on my birthday last year with my iPhone.  It is located in Kolob Canyon, which is directly adjacent to Zion National Park.  It was a very rainy December day in St. George and I told my then fiancĂ© that I would love to go see the weather and landscape in Kolob.  I had previously been there when it was inclement weather, so I wanted to venture into this part of stupor to recapture that vivid, yet elusive feeling.  What a wonderful birthday present.

The way the jagged lines that the clouds form over the red and jolting mountains gave me the chills.  We were driving up the road and as soon as I looked to my right, I was floored.  It spoke to me beyond the ears.  It encapsulated a very real power from within with the contrast of the red against the white, combined with the texture of the rock and the bristling of the sage and yellow grass.  It is as if the unseen crispness of the air protrudes from the picture to add a sense of being in the picture; the stiffness of the lines in the grass conveys this perfectly.  All of the mild and cool hues brushed up in contrast against the vibrant reds and oranges sent chills and tingles down my spine. I didn't think I could capture the shadows of the cliffs against each other on a phone camera, but it came out amazingly.  The clouds are shrouding the heavens, evoking a mystifying feeling that somehow there is more that we are missing.  Yet, that is what is so 'stupefying' to me, the curiosity and wonder that brings the breath-taking effect to one's being. In describing this frame of time and place, visceral truly is the only relatable process between the mind and the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment